

I love wooden cigar boxes. A couple of weekends ago, I went to a flea market/antique show and there was a booth, there, offering just wooden cigar boxes. This one particularly attracted me as it's very deep and the wood is nice and thick. Wood is another one of my favorite substrates to work on. I discovered using Absorbent Ground over Gesso to help receive paints, drawings, decoupaging and it's a wonderful medium over wood.
This coming November I'm going to have a solo show at the Albany Art Room and it was suggested that my offerings be some functional art pieces as well as visual/hanging canvases. I thought it would be fun to turn this cigar box into a greeting card holder for Christmas cards! I used some vintage images from some old postcards, decorative papers, acrylics, scrapbook papers, rusted embellishments, buttons, etc. I went over the top of the box with a layer of beeswax.
It's a little hard, for me, to think about Christmas, right now, although our weather feels more like Autumn than Spring :) But; thinking ahead, with this kind of thing, is the best for me as the projects take awhile to complete. It's very freeing, for me, to not have to work under pressure and time constraints when it comes to art. How about you? Do you work better under pressure or do you need lots of time for creating? I'd be interested in your answers if you want to comment. :)
Thanks so much for visiting and hope everyone is having a good week.
Love, Marilyn
14 comments:
Love how you altered this cigar box! great idea for christmas cards. I altered a wooden teabox to store my atc's and other cards.For me, I work best without any pressure.
Marilyn, what a surprise when I saw Christmas on your site this afternoon! I had to look twice to make sure my eyes were not playing tricks on me !!
Your altered cigar box is awesome!
As for me, I need lots of time when creating.
I love your cigarette box. I always work better under pressure. Might because I like to think about it awhile.
Beautiful altered box! I am a planner-I like a lot of time to fret and stew. Then I just get into art!
hugs, chris
Gorgeous box, Marilyn!!
I used to work better without pressure, but the past several months seem to often wait until deadlines are upon me.
Your box is stunning, Marilyn! Looks so lovely!
What a great idea I never know what to do with those lovely Christmas cards .I love all the Decorations its beautiful.
As for working under pressure I'm quiet good I used to be a chef in a restaurant and in the summer me and one other chef used to cook at least 200 meals a night of fresh home cooked food we were famous for our ribs .Writing this I cant believe it! but yes its true .I never want to chef again its so much hard work .
I don't know how I would cope doing a art exhibition though.
You will do a fantastic job I know you will, you are a very talented Artist .
love and hugs from sesga xx
I love this Marilyn!! As for your question, I've had both experiences... sometimes deadlines motivate me, other times they parylize me. I think it also has to do with how important the end result is to me. If it's really important, I am more likely to freeze up and panic a bit.
fabulos altered box,Marilyn!!
Marylin!
your boxes are wonderful!! you ahd better make more of these- I am sure that they will sell very well for you!!!I didn't even know that the new Gallery was out yet!! way to go girl!!!! Now that is a wonderful surprise!!
big Hugs!
Elizabeth
I LOVE this cigar box Marilyn!!!!!!!!! Oh this makes me want to do an exchange of cigar boxes! It will be the perfect home for sweet cards at Christmas! PRICELESS and precious!!!!!!!!!
Hugs,Patti
Your box is wonderful Marilyn
Your box is so lovely!
What a lovely box for storing memories!
If I have a week or two's grace I can work like a trojan without feeling too stressed but if I'm told to "create an artwork by tomorrow" I will get into a tizz.
Post a Comment