
I'm not much of a TV person; especially as of late. I just can't seem to find anything, program-wise, that really holds my interest for very long.
I do enjoy the old movies that are offered on a cable station, here in my area, and once in awhile I will treat myself to one of those. I always look for movies that star Jack Nicholson, Paul Newman, Frank Sinatra, Gene Kelly to name a few.
I was saddened to hear about the passing of Paul Newman. What an icon! I thought he was such a terrific actor, and oh, so handsome, and while I never knew him personally, it just seemed, to me, he was a really good person, too. He was so charitable and really gave back to the world. He founded a camp for children who suffer from terminal illnesses, eventually these camps have spread all across the country. All of his products sold in the stores; every cent was promised to go back to his charitable causes. I purchase his products because of this.
Paul Newman didn't seem to fall into the "Hollywood lifestyle" role. He was able to keep most of his personal life out of the limelight. I've always admired that. He remained married to the same woman (Joanne Woodward) for years; all of these things that I admired in him.
If I had to choose one movie that was my favorite of his, it would be Nobody's Fool. It was based on a book written by Richard Russo and was filmed in Bath, New York. It was a dark movie, but very powerful and Paul's performance was outstanding! There was a scene in the movie where he went back to his childhood home and there were very disturbing memories, there, for his character. The scene lasted for almost 10 minutes and Paul didn't speak one word throughout. It was all about his expression; it was like I could get inside his head and really feel what he was thinking. Incredible!
So; this post is my small way of saying goodbye to a very wonderful man, who I didn't know, but offered me, and so many others, hours of enjoyment watching him perform on screen and stage.
It's funny; when we don't know a celebrity but we admire them for the way they have effected us. There's something comforting knowing that they were still in the world with us.
For those of you who are a Paul Newman fan, what were your favorite movies of his? I'd love to read in your comments.
I wish you all a safe and happy week ahead........................Much love, Marilyn
4 comments:
Hi Marilyn,
What a wonderful tribute to such a great actor and humble man.
Being a fan of "Westerns," my all time favorite Paul Newman moive has got to be Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid! Remember the few lines of dialogue right before "Butch" and Sundance" leaped off the cliff into the raging water below? It went something like -- "Can't swim?"
Hell, the fall will alone will probably kill ya!"
What a great tribute to a great actor and great man!
I don't have a favorite movie, I think I love all of them.
have a great week too!
I was a fan of Paul Newman too. I think my favorite was Nobody's Fool also. And I love his dressings! I was deeply saddened when I heard of his death the other day, although I knew it was coming.
Loved him. Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, with Liz Taylor - but truly, I could watch that man in almost anything. Great tribute. I agree with it all.
Post a Comment