
I love blogging for so many reasons. One of the main reasons I love it, so much, is the inspiration I get from all the artists and blogs that I have linked here.Lisa Bebi is an artist who I follow regularly. It was her first article in a Somerset Studio magazine (about her over-painting technique) that intrigued me and, from then on, I've been hooked.
She recently posted, on her Blog, about a new painting exercise and technique she so brilliantly created with the substrate being a paper bag of all things! Ya know; those lunch bags that we have hanging around the house.
Lisa calls this technique "Automatic Painting". Please check out her Blog (linked to her name above) for pictures and words on her technique. You might have to go into her older posts to see . But; it's SO worth it. It instantly captured me and I had to give it a try.
Pretty much, in a nutshell, it is painting the paper bag with raw umber acrylics, then using a warm white acrylic to start spontaneously using your paint brush to create shapes, etc. until you start seeing images of something, someone, then going with it. I saw it as negative painting, and really, challenged me.
I used my art journal for the exercise and intend to embellish these more but I wanted to give you an idea of what I started out with. As I started working on the first one, I started seeing two figures - and as I kept painting, it became clear, to me, that this might be a couple heading out to a prom!
The second picture I instantly saw a dog forming and the other shape I kept working until I could get a figure of a little boy.
My exercises are a bit immature, in nature, but it's the exercise that really inspired me! It was a little scary to begin, but I have full intentions of working on more. I'll share the final pages, of these, with you once I embellish them in full.
Thank you, Lisa, for your constant inspiration! You really have taught me a lot.
When you visit Lisa's blog, check out her beautiful paintings. I love what she does with photos and over paintings. She's an Artist on Call for Somerset Studio, too, and I always look forward to her articles.
I hope you all enjoyed your Mother's Day weekends. I am constantly inspired by all of you! I LOVE Blogging! :) I learn SO much from you!
Have a great week ahead! Love to all - Marilyn xxoo
14 comments:
Very cool technique. I am always a fan of pushing past the conscious mind and not always thinking too much when it comes to the creative process. I love any technique that encourages the artist to start without thinking and see what happens. I'll have to give this a try.
Marilyn, I think this is something I need to do too. It is very interesting to see where this is going. Can't wait to see it later.
marilyn:
thank you for reading my blog and trying my automatic painting. it really is painting the negative space. you are right.
i think it might really help you find the opposite side of the brain.
yours are very cool. you filled in details, i didn't do that much, but i like it.
and yes, i am an artist on call for stampington (somerset studio, etc.)
watch out, these are very habit forming. but they look totally awesome as a set or series.
This is so cool, Marilyn -- exactly the opposite of the way I put together fabric, and a perfect exercise for freeing up the other side of the brain, I think. Your mind always amazes me!
Diane
very cool. you inspire me too!
great technique. awesome piece Marilyn!
have a nisce day!
xo
Sanja
Beautiful background!!
Marilyn this is so out of the box.
I have learned so much for you.
One thing for sure, such a nice person you are. So creative,I enjoy what you do.
Hugs, Laura.
great technique Marilyn! have to try it too!!
Wow, Marilyn this is really cool and it looks ggggggreat! Good for you, you are growing and your journal is helping your play to express yourself! Love it!
Our weather is changing and getting very odd, I am getting offline!
Hugs,Patti
This is so exciting. Your pieces really have moved me today. i could rave on all day about how I feel about these pieces. I am so glad I stumbled onto your blog. What a relaxing and wonderful soul searching technique you have found, thank you for sharing it.
All I can say is "wow," what an interesting technique. My favorite is the dog and little boy.
Thanks for sharing.
Luv your newest blog header.
xox
Barb
So cool, Marilyn! Looks so great!
I'snt Lisa Bebi the best???
Post a Comment