I shared my actual birth date with my immediate family taking me out to my favorite restaurant for dinner - yummy and great company :) Nice and quiet and no surprises!
My other request was to share an artful evening with 19 of my dearest friends, here, in an artful and interactive way. I got a huge canvas and sectioned it off so each participant could work on a space of approx. 6" x 8". What a result! We held the party at the Albany Art Room where I have the privilege of teaching. It's my happy place and felt it was the perfect place to have my birthday bash. We had so much fun working on the collaborative canvas, and now it is hanging, with honor on one of the walls at the Art Room. :)
I decided, at one point, to submit this to Cloth Paper Scissors magazine and they were very interested in including it in their Muse section in the July/August 2009 issue. It appears on page 14 of the magazine.
You will see pictures, here, of the magazine pages as well as the picture of the actual canvas that we all worked on. Please be sure to click on the picture of the collaborative canvas to get a closer look :) The blocks of collages and paintings appear in different directions and that is because we were working on both sides of the table the canvas was on. I didn't think that part out very clearly :) But; it is a fantastic work of art and I'd like to share, on my Blog, the names of my dear friends and talented artists who contributed to this collaborative:
Top Row - starting at left
Pam Small
Melanie Phillips
James Summa
Patti Gramza
Oona Edmands
Ruth Setzer
GinnieChagnon/Kristen Hessler
Mid Row - starting at left
Mel Galvin
Claire Maziarczyk
Marilyn Rock
Claire Maziarczyk
Karen Nicholason
Karen Schupack
Roberta Partridge
Kristen Hessler
Bottom Row - starting at left
Susan Rivers
Karen Nicholson
Peggy Beck
Nancee Walker
Janet Tanguay
Kerri Posson
Kerri Posson
Linda Martuscello
I want to thank Karen Schupack (proprietor of the Albany Art Room) for opening up her space for me to share my dream come true birthday bash! I also want to thank all of my dear friends who contributed to this wonderful and meaningful collaborative canvas! Some contributed who could not actually attend the party but sent me their art to adhere to the canvas. We had a blast and turning 60 ended up being one of the most memorable celebrations of my life.
Gee; what will I do when I turn 70? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm; I'm already thinking :)
Love to all and wishing you a safe, joyous, and artful weekend. You all inspire me SO much! Marilyn xxoo



16 comments:
This is very cool...
Marilyn, what are you doing up at 5:02 am posting this? Of course I LOVED the project but love you more. Thank you for including me as one of your dearest friends. You are one of mine too.
Marilyn, I never tire of looking at that wonderful canvas, which I think is a visual testament to how much you are loved and how much we enjoyed celebrating your first 60 years! The CPS coverage is just icing on the birthday cake.
Congratulations on your wonderful magazine spot- sounds like a memorable experience and the canvas is extraordinary!
I saw the canvas in the magazine and loved it!
Marilyn I must say this is one of the most "clever" cool Birthdays ideas, I have ever heard of !!!! Congrads to everyone for being published!!! That is outstanding, in print precious memories forever. It was your birthday but what a gift you gave everyone. Wow !!! You are such an amazing "talented" full of heart lady.
I am so excited for you !!
The Canvas is fanastic and bravo!!!
Big Hugs, this is so neat !!
Wow this is great! I'm so proud of all you girls for making it in the magazine and for such a visual celebration! I hope that I'll be at your 70th bash! :o)
This is wonderful Marilyn. What a special birthday celebration. You will treasure this beautiful canvas forever. Congratulations on the publication; that just tops off the entire celebration. See, 60 isn't so bad! From another who recently turned 60!
How exciting, Marilyn! You will treasure this experience forever, I'm sure! Now for your 70th, you need to gather your fabric friends together for a patchwork in fiber!
Diane
The canvas is great! What a wonderful idea for a birthday present!
Wanted to thank you so much for your generous comment on my blog. Visiting yours, I see it was a special birthday - for which I wish you all that you wish for yourself and congratulations are in order for your project being published and the award you just received. All such great ways to have you honored. Best- Jill
Marilyn,what a fantatsic way to celebrate such a special birthday, I may have to come up with something artisitic to help me cope with the terrors of turning 40 later this year.
Congratulations to all who contributed to the canvas for the successful publication of it.
this is great Marilyn!! what a beautiful way to celebrate!!
Big congrats! I am going to go to B&N today and get that mag.
Happy birthday and congratulations!! I have the issue and the spread looks great. Must have been a lot of fun!!
Dear Marilyn,
happy belated birthday - WOW! I am going to have to find that issue of cloth paper scissors . . . what an awesome idea and celebration of a special day. I found my way here therough marion B in Germany, if you can believe! We have been sharing some art on ARTchix studio.
Love to you & Patti too -- glad to find you again!
xo Lenna
Post a Comment