
I took some time, this morning, to work on what I refer to as a "twofer". This is a photo of a page, in my journal, that is journaling practice as well as portrait practice.
Journaling, to me, is getting a bit more freer, now, as I'm discovering it's a great way to learn things, not only about myself, but my art. I mean; where is the page going? It's not going on a canvas, it's not going to be for an exhibit, a commission, it's just for me! It took me awhile to relax more, with this, and play around some more with mediums and discovering what I like and don't like.
I made one discovery, this morning, through working on this portrait, that I don't like making too harsh of shadows over eyes and around the face. I'm finding the softer touch with just a little shadowing is more pleasing and calmer to me.
I'm also getting over the fear of writing right on the portrait as I've never been able to write very well. I mean I can print but I really don't have a "signature" per say. I never learned cursive - the old schooling I guess. So; I go with it and, who knows? Maybe in the not-too-distant-future I might pick up a calligraphy class. Hmmmmmmmmmmm. But; not right away - I've got a year's worth of journaling to do :)
I so hope you are all getting some art time in for yourself. How's your weather? Ours has turned a bit cooler with showers after a beautiful day yesterday. But; it's okay because I find I like creating on a rainy day with some classical music in the background.
How about you?
Warm thoughts to you all and thanks, again, for helping me with my art journey! Your feedback, here, always means so much for my flight! I know I'm enjoying yours!
Love to all......................Marilyn xxoo
29 comments:
These pieces of yours have so much character and whimsy. I truly enjoy hearing about your journey through these studies -- inspiration abounds!
Diane
Really lovely journal page M!
The little bird and nest are sweet additions too! Relaxing and not worrying about the outcome go a long way in our creative process ... thank you for sharing yours so freely.
We've also had some cooler temps and some rain which is great for the flowers ... everything looks an almost electric green !
Happy Sunday!
oxo
Great page, Marilyn! The more permission you give yourself to "be free", the lovelier the results! We've got a wet, rainy Sunday - perfect for art!!! Hugs, Terri xoxo
I like this face the best. I agree about the shadows around the eyes. This looks much lighter and therefore happier. I'm going to try to draw this. But first I have to go to work....ugh. Tomorrow is my day off.
Love your page Marilyn. When I want to make softer faces I use watercolour pencils in a softer colour or a pen in a softer colour and I am really liking the pan pastels these days. Do you have those? I love the freedom of journaling. I am a journaling fool! I am really into the Moleskines right now. I just made a small journal with a fabric cover in the size of a Moleskine Yesterday. I think hand writing or printing is so Wonderful no matter what the training level as it shows a little more of your character. Think how much you like it when you see it in others work. I like the imperfections more that the perfect. It is just that nasty inner critic again. Have fun and let go in your journal and you will learn so much about you. :)
Hugs
Marilyn, what can I say ???
Yes this is again so beautiful. Really unique painting. I love your special work.
This is fantastic, dear Marilyn! I love the colors, the image and the design! Beautiful work!
Look at your glorious face work!!! She is lovely!! I need to take a page form your book and relax about the Journaling process- I ahve ahard time letting go and relaxing into it and not always having a set purpose for what I create. Still working on getting rid of that mantra that has been embedded in me- old habits die hard!!
THank you for all of your inspiration and the lessons that you share!!!Big Hugs!
I think your journal portraits are very lovely.
I really like her. It was nice hear about progress of your art.
I know we should be more free with our journals. It is just for us and those people that want to look into them..:)
Take care,
Katelen
Your journal pages are so rich with detail, like the lace and music on the dress and the symbols and the bird.
Your gentle spirit comes through in your softer faces, and they just seem to be you so perfectly. Such a pleasure to view.
xo
Marilyn, your faces are coming along so beautifully and I to enjoy hearing and watching you journey through your journaling! Hope you are having a great day!
It's fun just to play and not worry about how the piece ends us, and usually when you're not trying for any kind of outcome--a good one always happens.
Your weather sounds exactly like ours. You just have to go along with the moody Spring weather.
She is gorgeous ! I truly wish I could draw like that.
I am so new to art journaling and am still trying to find my own style, I suppose the more you do the more you can improve :)
I love creating on a rainy day too...sitting inside, watching/hearing the rain come down. It's a calming feeling.
I like the subtle shading on your faces too, it's whatever works for you isnt it?
Beautiful journal pages and a lovely post!
Jacky xox
Your face is beautiful, very soft and pretty! We had rain all day yesterday and some this am, which means I had plenty of time in my craft room too! Have a good week!
This is so soft and beautiful Marilyn. I am so envious of you, the talent you have and how you work to hone it. Just so special. The love is so evident.
Love this page Marilyn! I love all the elements and the texture of her dress is wonderful!!
I feel the same way when I work on my journal, no one will see it, yet as I go back and look at the only 2 pages I put in there so far...I love them the best of everything!
My goodness your journal must be so awesome. Another beautiful page, love this.
debby
This is wonderful work Marilyn and yea to letting go and just letting things happen- this is a beautiful example of your muse at play!
Mrilyn this is so wonderful, she really does have character, she's beautiful. You've come such a long way in a short time, it's amazing!! xox
I love when it rains. I love your journal page,even the writing!Its hard to be free even in a journal,but I think when you finally let go and just create things just come out better.
Hi Marilyn! I just happened upon your blog today. Love your journal page. I need to start making my own art journal so I can learn to be more relaxed and free with my art.
I know of a great calligraphy artist for you to check out if you are serious about taking a calligraphy class online. Check Martha Lever's blog out here for yourself at
http://marthalever.blogspot.com/
Nice to meet you!
Lee Ann
Marilyn she is lovely and love the added printing.This is an awesome journal page and does feel calm.
Love it !!!
Biggest hugs, Laura. xoxx
I love the softer face in this journal page. How free we can be when we do art just for ourselves. And then we share it because we are so happy with it. No pressure just pure art from our heart. Wonderful. Happy journaling...
The softer face is really evident between this post and the previous one. Just scrolling between the two shows the real difference. Your journey and discovery made this a truly special post to read. Since I don't draw faces, it's been a real treat and enjoyable journey to take with you.
omg, these r brilliant!!! u have some serious talent!! i must start sketching again!!
http://donotshoeme.blogspot.com/
follow if u like what u see?
happy day!!
xoxo
Marilyn, this piece is def my fave!! And you're right about the shadows under the eyes...I love the softer touch as well!!!
Love that you are getting freer with your journaling..def something I need to work on!
TFS your projects with us. You & your creations are an inspiration!!
Hi Marilyn, I love your journalpages. The faces are so beautiful. Have a nice time. Hugs Alexandra
Post a Comment