Sunday, April 11, 2010

The finished chair.................................:)



I put the finishing touches on my mixed-media work on my old Victorian chair in preparation for an upcoming art show at the Albany Art Room this coming May (see previous post).

I added a flock of crows to the actual work on the seat with some gold-leaf trim around the edging.

The chair, as you can see, in the photo is very ornate with lots of open spaces. It's a beautiful chair, I think and when I got it, it didn't have a seat at all; there was an open hole. My husband, so cleverly, gave it a seat and this is what led me to work on it for the show as the theme is Alternative Substrates.

I decided to add the silk rose arrangement to the corner. I originally had an old straw hat, there, but it took too much away from the detail on the top part of the chair.

Thought you'd like to see and I had a ball working on this piece. On to the next alternative substrate which is an old kitchen cabinet door :)

Hope you are all having a good weekend and I wish you a safe and happy beginning to the upcoming week.

Much love and warm thoughts of all! Marilyn xxoo

35 comments:

Buffy said...

Marilyn this is beautiful,I love to see furniture makeovers. I can't wait to see the cabinet door.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Unique, gorgeous, and recycled art. What more could you ask for? Love it!

Yvonne said...

Gorgeous final project! I absolutely love the scene on the chair and the chair itself is a piece of art!

Sugar Lump Studios said...

oh Marilyn...your chair is just amazing...not only is the art gorgeous....but how super clever combining the piece with such a lovely piece of furniture! Happy Sunday to you! :)

Dianne said...

Beautiful chair!

Diane said...

This is so cool, Marilyn--I love it, and I love that chair!

Martina said...

OMG, Marilyn - this chair is fabulous. I'm just amazed at your creativity!

jgr said...

So beautiful!

Anonymous said...

This came out so beautifully.....now you need to do a set! xo Corrine

Sandy said...

OMG Marilyn what a fantastic idea and amazing work. This is absolutely unique. Love them.

Kathy @ Sweet Up-North Mornings... said...

You never disappoint Marilyn!
Beautiful job...
Happy Sunday girl
xoxo~Kathy @
Sweet Up-North Mornings...

Laura said...

What a beautiful chair, Marilyn! This will be a super show, I'm sure!!

sharon said...

Fantastic Mariyln! A gorgeous piece of art!!

Rhonda said...

Wonderful piece, Marilyn! I'm sure you will steal the show with this gorgeous chair - cheers!

Diane J. Evans said...

Beautiful, Marilyn -- you should be a smash hit at the show. Good luck!

Diane

Carol Q said...

way too beautiful to sit on Marilyn!

ArtPropelled said...

Amazing chair! What a great idea Marilyn.

Marlynn said...

Holy Cow, Batgirl - I can honestly say I would not sit my butt on that chair and OK, it probably isn't suppose to be sat on? The art work is outstanding and I am in awe of it! *applause* *applause*

Peggy Beck said...

This is really a nice piece. A conversation piece to say the least. I love it Marilyn and you too.

Debby said...

Marilyn, this is so awesome, how unique, love it.
Debby

Patti G. said...

Marilyn, This chair came out just gorgeous!!!!!!!!
You know that I love chairs that have a "history" and think of all those that maybe once sat there pondering or writing letters! This is fabulous!!!!!!! The dried roses are so pretty! On the chair I did, the little pouch you sent me is on the top like your roses are. JUST special!!!!!!
Hugs,Patti

Createology said...

Your chair with it's painted seat is wonderful. How clever of you. It will be a stunning art piece in your upcoming show. I like the balance of the small arrangement in the upper corner. Happy creating...

Jacky said...

Marilyn, this is beautiful. My friends art group recently had an exhibition and each person had to submit a painting and a painted chair...they sold really well!
Lovely art.

Jacky xox

Kaz said...

WOW...that's just awesome Marilyn, I'm sure it will go down a treat, it's really worth the work you put in. stunning art.

Elizabeth said...

Lovely work Marilyn!!! What a beautiful chair and now glorious adorned with your specail work. Recycling and repurposing old items is a wonderful spot for some glorious artwork!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh wow Marilyn its gorgeous you clever cookie .... beautiful work my friend.
hugs June xxxxx

Steph said...

love love this chair Marilyn!!!
xo steph

Terri Kahrs said...

Just look at all of these lovely comments! And you deserve every one of them, Marilyn. Your chair is beautiful! Hugs, Terri xoxo

johanna said...

this chair is soooo beautiful!! i would never dare to sit on it!

Femmy said...

what a great idea Marilyn!!! great job!!

Evidence of an Artistic Life said...

Fantastic!! What a wonderful idea!!!

Tabitha said...

What a gorgeous piece...I've been keeping my eyes open for a chair to do this with too...I can't wait to start antiquing with Lori again this summer. I hope we'll run into you again!

Janny said...

Great piece of work! Love your chair!

~*~Patty S said...

ooo it's a beautiful enchanted chair M!!! Fantastically lovely!
oxo

Lynne said...

Awesome!! The work you put into this lovely chair is stunning!! Marilyn, you should def be proud of yourself....your art is inspiring & gorgeous!! Keep these words close to your heart.....because it's true!!