Thursday, April 15, 2010

"Possibilities"


In between mowing the lawn, today, for the first time this Spring and fertilizing,running errands, I worked on this 12 x 12 mixed-media piece. It actually was an exercise, for me, in layering. There are probably 5 layers of stuff on this page. It includes layers of Gesso, acrylic paints, torn script paper, stamping, foils, stencils, image transfer (window) and my hand drawn and painted figure. I did collage the figure with script paper and added some adornments :) I picked up some Christine Adolph foil stickers and a foil kit awhile ago and thought I'd use them with this piece. I'm hooked! It's so much fun and very hard to stop!

The word Possibilities is a very strong word, to me, and also comforting at the same time. It really offers me hope in terms of my creating art. Facing that blank canvas can be intimidating, to me, but once I get going, I think of the "P" word and it keeps me motivated. I can't say it always works but I think Gesso, in itself, helps me, too. That's one of the reasons I love it so much. I know if I feel I messed up, with something, start over! Gesso over it and I've created another Possibility :)

I hope I've offered you some comfort in the "P" word. Each new day we get offers another possibility for us.

Wishing you all the best life has to offer!

Love to all...........................Marilyn xxoo

31 comments:

Lori Saul said...

This is stunning Marilyn! Possibilities is always an empowering word for me- it always leaves room for learning yet it is hopeful too. Beautiful post!

mariasangel said...

love the piece and how vibrant it is! the contrast of the aqua window against the orange is great! I am a great fan of "possibilities" counsin, "options"--i have to deal so often with people who only see one way and never consider that there are options---two wonder words to keep close at heart :)

Createology said...

I think Possibilities is a wonderful word. Your layering is excellent and I love her sweet flower in her hair. Happy creating...

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

You are really doing well on those lovely angels you draw. I really liked how you made the paper look like a real dress. Very nice detail.

Diane said...

You are helping us Marilyn showing us all of the possibilities. Do you find that sometimes when you layer like this, there's things that you don't want to cover up? I do--that's why they say, when you make a piece of art, don't get too attached to something during the process. It always ends up better with multiple layers.

Debby said...

Marilyn, this is really so beautiful and I am loving all your recent work. But gosh girl, you are so busy and how do you do it?
Debby

Lynda Howells said...

Just thought l would stop and say Hi! just found your blog and have joined your :followers"x like your workx
http://chocolatelifeandjazz.blogspot.com

Terri Kahrs said...

Gorgeous, Marilyn! Love all of those luscious layers. Funny how your talk to yourself about "possibilities". When I talk to myself, I always say "It's only paint!" over and over like a mantra! Hugs, Terri xoxo

Patti G. said...

THIS is ffffffffabulous Marilyn, one of my very favorites so far!!!!
The colors, the window and that sweet girl, possibilities!!!!!
It touches me!
Hugs,Patti

Buffy said...

I love all the layers in the background and I love the girl. Beautiful piece. I love seeing windows in art.

Yvonne said...

This IS stunning,Marilyn!

Poetic Artist said...

This is wonderful. Oh love that word Possibilities..It is endless.

jackie said...

What a lovely piece! The colors and textures are wonderful!

sharon said...

This is really beautiful Marilyn! I love everything about it, the girl is divine, and the layers are luscious.! I need to figure out layering, you do it sooo well!

Diane J. Evans said...

You always seem to know when the piece is just right, Marilyn -- you let the possibilities carry you to the moment of completion and perfection. Bravo!

Diane

lindacreates said...

This is wonderful Marilyn! Possibilities, what a great word. Thank you for stopping by my blog, it means a great deal.

Sandy said...

How incredibly gorgeous this one is, i love the beautiful colour and design and it looks totally gorgeous. Love them.

Have a lovely weekend my friend.

jgr said...

Hi Marilyn,
What a beautiful piece! And I love the concept of possibilities--very nice figure too!

Femmy said...

what a gorgeous piece Marilyn!! love the concept of possibillities, the orange is so vibrant, love it!!
Have a great weekend!!
hugs femmy

Heavens2Betsy said...

Wonderful piece Marilyn - it has such depth. Thank you for the gift of Possibilities ... I shall keep that in mind from now on x

johanna said...

i love all the layering here. and i love the font you took for the word "possibilities" (stencils? stamps?), it looks gorgeous! and you are so right: gesso forgives all mistakes;)
fantastic art, marilyn, enjoy your weekend!

Oxana said...

WOW Marilyn!
This is STUNNING!!!!
Hugs
Oxana

Carol Q said...

beautiful Marilyn. love the vibrant colours you used for the background, "possibilities" conjures up all sorts of wonderful opportunities doesn't it?

Francine said...

Hello Marilyn! Thank you for posting on my blog. Now I am going to post on yours. What a beautiful piece of work that is. I have never tried any of those techniques myself nor even tried to put that many thing on a canvas or even put anything on a Canvas, except back in High School and that was in 1984. Ha Ha! Anyway, the part where you put that you were mowing the lawn, made me laugh out loud. I just came in from doing that myself. It is very hard to do right now because I have those Fox tails or whatever they are called and they get stuck in my mower. I have the old, old, mowers from the 40's or maybe it is 50's but it has no mower and mowing those type of weeds are really hard. I may ask my neighbor, if she wouldn't mind going over my lawn with her gas mower. Well, I think I am going to look at the rest of your blog. Keep up the Great Work! Hugs, Francine

Peggy Beck said...

She's beautiful marilyn. I love everything about the painting.

Dianne said...

Your collage is very lovely...

peggy aplSEEDS said...

hello! i love using gesso, to and love how you do the layering in this piece.

Caterina Giglio said...

I dwell in possibilities! love that quote and your piece is wonderful! hope you have a great weekend!

~*~Patty S said...

Thank you for sharing the "P" word with us dear M AND for sharing another wonderful art creation with us....layers are good very very good and you've used them to perfection!
Happy Weekend to you and yours!
oxo

Marlynn said...

This one is so MOVING! Love it, Marilyn.

Lynne said...

Stunning piece!! Love the colors, and the window. Butterfly 'wings' are a wonderful touch!! The collaging of your figure is such a great idea!! Possibilities & flourish at the bottom, are awesome!!