



About two weeks ago I purchased this darling little French book called Merimee's Colomba by J.A. Fontaine with a copyright of 1916. The book cover, itself, is in terrible condition, tearing off of the inside binding. The book is approx. postcard size ( 4 x 6).
I got the book, for a song; well not really as if you heard me sing, I wouldn't get anything even for free - lol!
But; I fell in love with the book as the size and French script was calling to me. When I got the book home, I tore the front and back covers off of the book which I will use for altering with a future project I have in mind.
I was left with these wonderful distressed and beautiful pages of French script in a charming size. I decided to use these pages as a sketch book as I've always loved sketching or stamping over script writings.
I searched my stash of magazines and found a "glam" book of French runway models and thought these would be a match for my sketch models. They really didn't turn out looking exactly like my "subjects" but that's okay; I drew them and colored them in and made them into my own. You notice runway models very rarely smile. What is up with that? Are they told not to do that or are they just hungry ? :)
The pages of this book are a bit delicate and very soft, with wear, so I had to use gentle mediums on them for color. I used soft pastels and waxed pencils, did some stamp overs with white gesso or Staz On ink, added some French postage stamps as collage elements, and then sealed the little pages over.
I think what I'm going to do with these is make little greeting cards out of them as gift packs. And; I will look forward to doing more of these with the rest of the book pages.
Hoping you all are having a good week, so far, and thoughts of you are with me through mine.
Our weather has turned glorious with clear blue sky, cool air and a wonderful breeze for the next couple of days! We had such a humid past weekend and this coming holiday weekend is going to turn extremely hot and humid. They are predicting temps in the 90's :(
Wishing you all a safe and happy 4th of July weekend.
Much love, Marilyn xxoo
28 comments:
I think they're just hungry!LOL. I just love these,they are all beautiful and thats such a great idea about the cards.
OMG these are so beautiful.
Gorgeous painting art. Love it.
Ooo la la, M!! I love these little drawings! Great idea to do them over the French script. Hope you have a wonderful 4th filled with the 3 F's - family, food and fireworks!! xox Deb
These are lovely! What a wonderful idea... I like that the images are transparent and you can see the text through them. It's an ethereal quality...
These are simply beautiful! Love your blog change too! Have a great 4th! Thanks for your comment on my wedding story...
I agree -- I think runway models don't smile because they're crabby, since they can't eat anything! (I'll never be accused of being crabby for that reason.) These cards are simply wonderful, Marilyn. I think you should give each gal a French name!
Diane
Fantastic pieces Marilyn! Very unique. They all look so sultry, and I looove the blond! You always take your work one step above!!
These are great, Marilyn! What a super way to use your book! The first one reminds me of someone from the late 60's from when I was a teenager...the name will come to me.
Your Runway Gals are too too perfect. What a wonderful use of text pages and marrying your art together. Happy creating...
I'm really running behind coming to my blogs I visit each day, so was glad to see this wonderful post of not one, but four paintings. While reading about the book, I wondered if the text was old and brittle, after you described the covers. I'm so glad to hear they are not brittle, but of course, they are delicate with age. These will make perfect gift postcards. Any recipient will be more than honored to own one.
painting on that fab vintage french text is brilliant M!
Your models are ooh la laa wonderful, each and every one!
oxo
No smiles, you are right, what's up with that ...these are charming and will be so fun. Hope you have a lovely 4th. Sounds like you are getting the same weather we
are, enjoy the fireworks and parades!
Wow, these are stunning! Your portraits are really good. They'll be awesome cards!
You have a safe and happy 4th too!
Take good care!
Welcome home Nellie and these French ladies are just wonderful Marillyn. I just love your creative spirit and how it comes out on whatever you are working on.
These are beautiful.. I can not wait to see more.
Katelen
JUST beautiful girls on the neat french pages! Ooooooolala Marilyn, each gal is just yummy! I love the faces and combination of the print! LOVE IT!
Hugs,Patti
oh i just love what you've created here with the vintage french pages!
great job, nice colours too!
ciao bella
creative carmelina
these pages are so beautiful!!
have a nice weekend!!
oh Marilyn your art is always soooo inspirational and wonderful. I love each page and the book is perfect as a background text.
I am curious - do you seal with gel medium? I have had troubles with pages sticking together unless I have embellishments on my collage book pages.
I hope you have a wonderful and SAFE 4th of July! :)
Oh these are really beautiful!!!
These are fabulous, Marilyn!
These pages are beautiful,they are so different. I think they are so awesome "Terrific Marilyn".
I really enjoyed your post about the creative process,great.
Love you lots,Hugs Laura. xoxx
awesome job! I love these!
What fun! Great drawings and terrific idea about making them into cards. I too love using a book page as a background. I just bought a spanish novel at a book sale and have been using that.
Enjoy your weekend.
Marilyn, love these pages...and you are so gererous to share how you make your art....I am always inspired after visiting with you...
Happy 4th of July
These are just luscious, Marilyn. I love the subtle text running through their hungry expressions.
These are really special...I love, love,love the girl in green....
Keep it up girlfiend!!!!
marilyn, this is inspiring - thank you! i love the idea of using photos as a starting place for faces. not long ago i saw someone using photos from an old high school yearbook as a starting point. i love that! anyway, back to these faces... i love how you left some text showing and some not. it's perfect...
lynne
Post a Comment