Tuesday, February 20, 2007



Well - just what I need; another medium!! I'm hooked again. On Monday, I had the opportunity and privilege to meet a friend of mine, Laura Jones, who is a very talented and creative artist, at Art Connection to share some studio time together. Laura was kind enough to take time to share the world of needle felting with me. I saw some samples of this technique on the Art-e-Zine website and it was instant love, for me, and knew I had to try it. Of course, I had to purchase ALL of the tools and accessories to beqin my venture.

Laura was very thorough and we had a ball playing with this technique. My favorite is the concept of "painting on felt" with the wool. You can create landscapes, seascapes, skyscapes, any kind of background and then add your touches. This picture is my first attempt and note it's not finished. I want to add fabric images that I have, here, that I transferred images onto muslin using the Tranz It ink. Then adding metallic fibers, ribbons, flower and beading embellishments. Now; after working on this piece, I realize I just HAVE to get more colors of wool :) A note: you can also create small elements such as leaves, flowers, etc.

Thank you SO much, Laura, for spending time with me and introducing me to the world of needle felting.

2 comments:

Kerri Jean said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous, luscious!!! I have yet to find an art form that Laura cannot do well!! She's amazing!! Now I want to know all about it!!!!

Laura said...

Your piece is really nice, Marilyn, and I can't wait to see what else you do to it! I'm so glad that you enjoyed the lesson and the process. Thank you to both you and Kerri for the compliments -the opinions of both of you mean alot to me!