Ted and I were taking a break, this morning, from cleaning up outside, and we noticed this woodpecker working away at making a nest. Ted knows his birds :) and said this is the Hairy species of woodpecker and the difference between a Hairy woodpecker and a Downie Woodpecker, is the Hairies build nests in live trees as opposed to Downie's who build nests in dead trees. A little science corner from the Rocks :)
Anyway, we were observing this woodpecker and he actually got stuck in the hole. Apparently, he was testing it out to see if he could fit and he got stuck. I took a picture of him as he was in this position for the longest time and eventually got himself loose! We could actually see him bucking back and forth trying so hard to free himself. While it was funny, at same time, we were worried he'd really get stuck in there and how would be get him out? But; nature provides and he's free, now, and keeps coming back to work on the nest. Cool, huh?
2 comments:
Guess he'll learn to make a bigger entrance next time before trying it out. LOL! Nice shot, Marilyn. Must have been fun watching him.
Pam
I'm so glad he managed to free himself (or herself - who builds the nests- ask Ted!) I was at AC Moore yesterday and I saw a little bird fly into an uncapped hydrant opening attached to the side of the building. A further peek confirmed that this bird had made a comfy little nest. I am hoping it doesn't get evicted from its spot!!!
Post a Comment