Monday, January 11, 2010

"ILLUSTREE"


8 x 8
Encaustic/Mixed Media

I played around with some more encaustic wax today. Again; it's the clear medium and I'm starting to enjoy it. It has a lighter feel, to it than the natural beeswax, but I still prefer the vintage color of the natural.

This piece began with priming the canvas with the wax and then adding a base of handmade paper which I had made quite awhile ago using tissue paper and mediums. There's some cheesecloth inclusions in this piece, too, but not sure if you can see it.

I love polka dots; always have and the black border on the bottom is some really cool decorative packing tape I found on Ebay. It's very cool and will make a great journaling embellishment :)

I signed up for Misty Mawn's online Portrait Drawing class and it begins on Friday. There are a couple of "warm up" exercises so I'd better get going on those tomorrow. I hope to share my progress with all of you. I'm a little nervous as I so need to learn how to draw faces that resemble faces :). I'll keep you posted :)

In meantime, stay well, safe and thanks for all of your support! I just love sharing and interacting with you all!

Much love - Marilyn xxoo

24 comments:

Diane said...

Marilyn, I love these colors together, and all of the texture--good luck in your class--I'm having fun? in Suzi's :)

Tolegranny said...

Oh Marilyn, I love the colours you picked for this. Love it. Great job.

Caterina Giglio said...

You are having such fun with wax! have fun in the portrait class. I am working on the questions! xo

sharon said...

This piece is so much fun Marilyn! I saw really nice decorative packaging tape in A.C. Moore , but I held back because it was 6 bucks, but what was I thinking?!! I'm taking Suzi's Goddess class with Diane I think.It's coming along, but I haven't shared that on my blog yet. I will if you will!

Terri Kahrs said...

I LOVE beeswax too, Marilyn. And I love this piece with it's polka dot tape. Good luck with your class. Hugs, Terri xoxoxo

Createology said...

Wow Marilyn you are really experiencing an artistic goldmine. I really like what you are making. Enjoy your class to the fullest and you will do just fine. I am looking forward to seeing your faces progress.

~*~Patty S said...

Beautiful Marilyn!
Can't wait to see what you create from Misty's class, she is such a fantastic artist and really nice person AND a great teacher as well!

You're making me itch to play with beeswax AND polka dots!!!
oxo

Sandy said...

This is stunning.
What for a great color and wonderful design. Love them.

Lynne said...

Marilyn, this piece is gorgeous!! I love the colors you chose, and that black tape is perfect!!

Patti G. said...

Marilyn,
This piece is gorgeous! Polka dots are such fun!!!!!!
Who does not love them?
The wax always gives such a unique and wonderful feel to artwork! I just love it!
Hugs,Patti

Janny said...

Beautiful piece of work! Enjoy your classes;o)

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Sometimes it takes awhile to appreciate a new medium, but you seem to have done quite well in encaustic. This piece is a perfect example, too.

You are so brave. I can't draw a thing, much less faces. Will be watching eagerly to see the results.

Elizabeth said...

Your new banner is gorgeous!! I like the polka dot piece- that tape is a great find- butt he blog banner piece really really speaks to me!!
Have fun in class- you will be a star!!!!
Elizabeth

Kaz said...

more gorgeous art Marilyn, that tape is fab! You use the coolest things.....Good Luck drawing faces, I should do it too since I'm dire at drawing at all, but I know I'd be rubbish!! lol
I did the deli paper and it was SO much fun, made my very first journal page!! Thanks so much for sharing and inspiring. I'll blog it once the second one is done. xox

Diane J. Evans said...

I LOVE the colors on this one -- and especially the dots. I put them in whenever I get the chance!

Diane

johanna said...

oh my, polka dot tape - i couldn´t have resisted also!! wonderful piece, marilyn!

Martina said...

This piece is adorable, Marilyn. I love the colors and the whole creation. Wonderful!

Gaby Bee said...

Another lovely piece! Love your color choices and the polka dots!

Lori Saul said...

Wonderful color use -the polka dots add so much to the design element of the piece. Also - your blog banner piece is fabulous Marilyn- gorgeous folk art!

Hanne said...

This is wonderful!
Hugs Hanne

Peggy Beck said...

I'm watching you too Marilyn, but what can I say that someone else has not said? It's wonderfully fun. Love poka dots too.

Tolegranny said...

I love the deli wrap videos too. Something more for me to think about. Thanks for the inspiration.

Laura Haviland said...

Just beautiful dear friend.
I always get such a thrill seeing what you create.
Are you on Facebook, I am ?
Thanks for sharing, love your art work.
Enjoy your day, I will back blogging soon.Hugs, Laura. xoxxxo
Love visiting your amazing blog.

Femmy said...

love these colours!! what a beautiful artpiece again!!