Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Practice, practice, practice :)


Here are some more practice portraits. The first two are 3/4 portraits. One is the original I through in Photoshop which I liked the effect and the other is the original drawing. I took the model from a "glam" magazine I have here and her side hair was braided which was a bit challenging.

The other photo is a 3/4 portrait (a la Misty Mawn); she offers us some of her own images for practice. The other is a side portrait that I drew just on my own and didn't use a model.

I feel pretty good about what I'm doing, so far; although I can start to see I need to loosen up and feel that will come with the "3 P's". :) I think the rest of week I'm going to practice just with single elements like noses, mouths, ears, and eyes. That will help loosen me up :) Or a glass of wine! :)

Friday is the second lesson offering of Misty Mawn's class and it will introduce us to painting portraits! I'm very anxious with this one and have feeling it's going to be very challenging for me. I have a free weekend coming up so the timing is great!

Thank you all for your supporting comments, here, you have no idea how much you all inspire me and give me the wings I need to challenge myself. Even a year ago, I'm not sure I could share these exercises publicly.

Have a safe and happy day! Love always - Marilyn xxoo


11 comments:

johanna said...

oh my, you are on a roll!!! keep them coming, they are wonderful! you must be so proud to master this! thanks for sharing them with us:)
oxox, johanna

Diane said...

You're getting into it now,Marilyn, and I'm not an expert, but I know that the 3/4 views are the most difficult.

Kaz said...

these really are wonderful, I love you showing your practise ones, the small ones too. really great course for you. xox

Sandy said...

Wow these are fantastic.
A Big Applause for them.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I finally understand what you meant by 3/4 (view), when I saw it above the side view. Nice practice pieces. I'm sure your portraits will be as wonderful, and the added Photoshop coloring was simply incredible.

Terri Kahrs said...

Your drawings are really improving, Marilyn. Drawing a face is sooo difficult, but you're doing an excellent job. I must admit, I love the way your drawing translates in PhotoShop. Defiitely a 'wow'!!! Hugs, Terri xoxo

sharon said...

These are all lovely Marilyn, and each has their own nuances that create a mood and atmosphere about the individual! Remarkable I say...keep going!

Diane J. Evans said...

You must be so pleased with your fantastic progress, Marilyn -- isn't it great to keep learning?!

Diane

Lisa said...

Going good! I can imagine that braided hair was tricky!

Debbie said...

These are great! I can't wait to see how the painting goes! :-)

Jen Crossley said...

WOW Marilyn this is awesome keep going girl