Wednesday, January 27, 2010

I'm lovin' Shiva Oil Sticks :)


This is my second painted portrait using Shiva Oil Sticks! I love them! I am finding I have much more control with these vs the acrylic paint. You can actually combine both.

The portrait began as a brand-new drawing I did on Bristol Vellum (smooth side) and my "model" was from one of my favorite images from Paper Whimsy collage sheet.

I'm having a blast!

I visited Blogs, yesterday, to catch up on what you are all creating and I'm really enjoying seeing what you are doing. You all inspire me to reach higher and higher with my own art.

There are a lot of Blog giveaways going on with the One World , One Heart project. It's fantastic and I signed up for a bunch. It's a great project and I'm thinking of joining in, myself, for the next one.

Love to all of you and hope your day is being good to you....................Marilyn xxoo

27 comments:

angela recada said...

I love this portrait! Over the holidays, I bought myself some Shiva oils sticks, too, and can't wait to use them. I like the idea of combining drawing and painting. I need more control.
:0)

Buffy said...

She came out good,I'm glad you enjoy using the shiva sticks,I so have to get some. I'm going to joanns this weekend.

Createology said...

What a great way to get over any fear of products or techniques. You are really blossoming in your art. Keep creating...

Diane said...

Wonderful Marilyn, I've never tried the shiva sticks--I might have to look into them. They're very soft looking.

sharon said...

Oh, this is great Marilyn, so soft!
You suprise me everyday!

Sandy said...

Wow what a great portait.
This is amazing. Love them.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I'm glad to hear you like the Shiva Paint Stics. I will need a better understanding of them before I proceed. Maybe some practice is in order.

Sugar Lump Studios said...

thank you for sharing all your new projects with us...they give me inspiration! :) Doing the "no more water" dance for both of us! ;0

Terri Kahrs said...

At first glance, I really thought it WAS a paper whimsy girl!!! Your work is getting more refined each day. Hugs, Terri xoxo

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I had trouble posting before, so cut my message short. Then my computer locked up and I had to reboot.

I wanted to ask where you got your Shiva Paint Stics. The reason I ask is, I noticed that someone said she was going to JoAnns. I checked everywhere in Wichita (the largest city in the state of confusion, errrr KS) and the only authorized dealer for Cedar Canyon in KS is Salina, a small town near the interstate. If I want to get them here, I have to order them over the internet. Even my favorite scrapbook store, Mrs. O'Leary's can't get them wholesale.

Patti G. said...

Gorgoeus Marilyn! I love her, the light and darks and the sweet little pinkish tone you instilled in her face! Lovely!The shiva stick are cool huh????? Awesome, will look into them too!
Hugs,Patti

Poetic Artist said...

I think is is wonderful..I like the combination. I have not tried the Shiva oil sticks. Oh something else to add to my list.lol

Jacky said...

This is FANTASTIC... love what you have achieved with the shiva paintsticks. I have one, but not sure what to do with it (probably the best thing is just to have a play). I didnt realise that you could use them with the acrylics too. Thanks for the tip.

Jacky xox

Femmy said...

really beautiful Marilyn!! love the soft look of it!

johanna said...

i immediately recognized this as a paperwhimsy picture! well done, again, marilyn!
i always refused to buy shiva sticks so far, they are quite expensive over here... but meanwhile i think some things just are worth their prize!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I have tried in the past to find your e-mail address and I couldn't find it this time, either. I've updated my profile with a different e-mail address that should go through. If not, I'll figure something out, or you may leave another comment telling me where to find your e-mail address here on this blog.

Oxana said...

It`s really beautifull!!! I love this portrait!
Hugs
Oxana

Janny said...

I don't know the Shiva oil sticks but this is really gorgeous!!

Laura Haviland said...

You inspire us Marilyn.
Wow another beauty, I have never tried those Shiva oils, I will have to check them out. You sure make magic happen with them.
"love ya" Hugs,Laura. xoxx

Peggy Beck said...

Marilyn, you really catch the gleam in the eyes of your portraits. It's the best part of all as it captures the essence of these people. Wonderful!! I can't wait to see the next one.

jgr said...

Hi Marilyn,
WOW! Your portraits are looking great! The Shiva oil sticks sound and look awesome!! Thanks for sharing your technique!

~*~Patty S said...

My first thoughts were PW !
Wonderful to witness your drawing/sketching adventures dear Marilyn!!!
Enjoy Enjoy! It certainly is fun on this end ... many thanks!

oxo

Alicia1008 said...

Wow what a great portrait! Simply fantastic, Marilyn.

Martina said...

A great painting, dear Marilyn. This is something that I can`t at all :-) But you mastered it perfectly.

Lori Saul said...

This is superb- wonderful shading and you really gave her "life" - wonderful work Marilyn!

Viola said...

Love your portrait, Marilyn! It`s gorgeous!!

kanishk said...

I like the idea of combining drawing and painting. I need more control.

Work from home India