Tuesday, January 26, 2010

My First Painted Portrait - woohoo!



The first picture, here, is my very first painted portrait! I used one of my earlier drawings which I've also shown here and turned her into the painted portrait!

Misty suggested we use our earlier sketches for experimenting with the flesh-tone painting and thought this was a brilliant tip. It made me feel a bit freer and I guess I really altered the original drawing didn't I?

I am really happy with this first attempt at painting a portrait. I decided to add a little background to the figure. This was fun!

I see Misty put up another lesson using Shiva oil sticks. I've got to go check it out!

Hope you're not getting tired of these but I really want to share with you what I am doing. This was such a huge step, for me, to take this course and I'm very happy I did. It's really challenging and takes a lot of time. It's teaching me patience :) My housework is suffering as a result but - oh well! That's the way it goes! :)

All be safe, well and get some art time in!

Much love to all! Marilyn xxoo


22 comments:

Sandy said...

Oh wow this is a dream.
Wonderful painting. Love them.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

You really did alter her. I like her new hairdo.

I hope you have better luck with the Shiva paint sticks than I've had. I think I press too hard or get too much on my stencil brush. Of course, all I've ever worked on was my hand dyed fabric, so paper might be a whole "nother" thing. I'll be anxious to see how yours turns out.

Alexandra said...

I love your painting!!! Wonderful Marilyn

Buffy said...

She looks totally different,she came out beautiful although she was beautiful before too and I'm loving that background.

Kaz said...

Oh Marilyn this is so stunning, you must be SO proud of yourself, this course was very clearly made for someone like you, you're so talented anyway and this has just added to that!!
super artwork and just gorgeous portrait, I love her. you're so inspiring!!
xox

Diane J. Evans said...

The housework will always be there, Marilyn -- explore your passions!

Diane

Janny said...

Really beautiful, I know how difficult it is;o)

Diane said...

I never get tired of you showing your progress in Misty's class. I love looking at what you do--she's beautiful!

Lori Saul said...

What a wonderful painting - I love the character in her face! You have captured her spirit and made it new and fresh- beautiful color and background Marilyn- hope to see more!

~*~Patty S said...

Tired! Oh NO! It's lovely to see your drawings and now a painting too!Love that blue background so much along with your pretty lady!
What a great class it must be!
oxo

Caterina Giglio said...

woohoo! your excitement is contagious! congrats dear lovely work!!!

Patti G. said...

Marilyn, I love that you are sharing your steps of learning with us! This is wonderful and I wish I was doing a class like this!!!!!!
Super job and keep up the great arting! The colors are really beautiful!
Hugs,Patti

Debbie said...

Wow! I really like the new painting. Good job!

Createology said...

The color really does an amazing change to the drawing. I love the way you enhanced her and changed it up! You are soaring. Keep creating...

sharon said...

Your painting is beautiful! It is so full of character, and the background addition is lovely Marilyn.

Lynne said...

Marilyn, your painting is gorgeous!!! I love her new look, it's very angelic. Loving the background too!!!

johanna said...

you can be verrrry proud, marilyn! and you created a fantastic background, matches so beautifully! i really envy you for your patience... i´m a rather impatient person unfortunately...

Femmy said...

love your portrait Marilyn!! all your latest work is so beautiful!!

Sugar Lump Studios said...

Marilyn
this is such a gorgeous piece...I am envious of anyone that can draw...my daughter and both my sisters are fanastic with drawing...that gene skipped me!

Love your art! :)

Lyrically speaking said...

glad to have stumbled upon your page...very artsy and inspiring

Viola said...

Wonderful painting! Really gorgeous!!

kanishk said...

so paper might be a whole "nother" thing. I'll be anxious to see how yours turns out.

Work from home India