Thursday, January 7, 2010

Mixed Media and more deli paper :)



To begin, this post, I'd like to thank everyone for their positive and overwhelming feedback on my first art video technique with the deli paper (previous post). I so appreciate your comments, here, and the emails I've received. Again; couldn't do it without you! Do you think I said enough "ums" in the video??? hahahaha! A common comment or question, from all, was where to purchase the deli paper. I got mine at a store called Target, here in my area, but big box stores such as Walmart or BJ's would have it and kitchen/restaurant supply stores. A friend of mine got hers off of Ebay. Again; I would recommend unwaxed and there is plain deli paper, out there, without the logo on it :)

I'd like to share two pictures here with you today. One is an 11 x 14 mixed media piece that I'm working on for an art exhibit I have coming up in February. I've given a "re-birth" of sorts to this piece as it wasn't working in its original state so I am reworking it. There are two "found element" inclusions that I found at a local salvage store.

I'm also in an art exchange that calls for a challenge with mail art. We have to create an envelope or use ready-made envelopes with a travel theme. I decided to make mine from deli paper. Yet; another use for the papers I have created here :)

You will also see, here, a picture of my first envie creation using the deli paper. I used a regular mailing envie, took it apart and used it as a template. I call this piece "Trip to Paris". We had to include at least 3 rubber stamps on the front leaving room for the mailing address as well as the return.

Again; thank you all for your continued support, friendships and constant inspiration. I love interacting with all of you; you are my wings!

Enjoy the upcoming weekend; be safe and reward your hard work with some art time!

Love to all! Marilyn xxoo

29 comments:

johanna said...

love your mixed media piece with the found elements! they really add a wonderful touch!
the envelope is great also!
xoxo, johanna

Sandy said...

OMG OMG OMG these are stunning.
So fantastic structures and backgrounds. Amazing work.

Diane said...

I love these Marilyn, so much! I haven't looked at your videos yet-- I haven't had much time--I have so many little projects going on--my head is spinning, in a good way, though. BUT, I did subscribe to your you tube channel, and I'll be viewing these videos (my user name is dedionisio)-thank you for sharing your talent!

Caterina Giglio said...

really nice work Marilyn and I have to say...Um is a universal pause! if you check out the other videos, you will see everyone does it, I don't think anyone really cares!! I loved hearing your voice! and watching you work! xo

Terri Kahrs said...

Both pieces are gorgeous, Marilyn! Good luck with the art exhibit. I'm going to see if I can find the deli paper today. Thanks for the sources! Hugs, Terri xoxo

Just Me said...

I agree with previous comment re: any um's you may have said, 'don't worry bout it!' Your vid was awesome, great instructions, great results, and most of all heartfelt. Brilliant idea for mailer and sounds like fun swap. Not sure what you mixmed piece looked like before but it is a handsome piece. Yes, I said handsome even with the flowers. It is strong, with bold colors, texture and depth.

sharon said...

Marilyn! I haven't had a chance to watch your video....but will do so today...(in work! That's working , right?! lol) Your pieces are stunning. I am loving that mixed media piece....ohhh, birds, growth, metal...I'm in love!!It's incredible!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

As always, I love what you made. That little element on the collage is wonderful, and the perfect touch.

You say your readers give you wings. You give us a lot more than that. Thanks for being YOU.

Deb L. said...

Oh I love that little element with the flowers!! These are both just gorgeous, M... xox Deb

Kerri Jean said...

Love the collage. Is that a drawer pull, used instead as a vessel or container? brilliant!! Great stuff. Love the deli paper too. Still haven't been able to view the whole video here. I think we just overtax our server during the week. I'll have to take a peek when I dash in on a Sat.

Createology said...

Great deli paper tutorials. I have been four days without DSL and I missed so much. I am slowly catching up. Thank you for sharing and teaching us something new.

Brian K said...

Marilyn! The colors and textures on these peices are extrodinary! Really amazing!!! Thank you for your post and following my blog. Here's to a creative wonderful new years for us all!

Poetic Artist said...

I really like these..I have yet the time to sit down and watch your videos. I have time tomorrow, I am going to relax and watch.

jgr said...

Hi Marilyn,
Thank you for the deli-paper demo! it's something I've been wanting to try. I think your video turned out great, I hope you do more in the future.

--Jane

lindacreates said...

These are wonderful Marilyn. Love the inclusion of the vintage metal.

Femmy said...

both pieces are great marilyn!!
have a great weekend!!

Janny said...

So beautiful, love your colours!

Diane J. Evans said...

i love your last sentence, Marilyn -- I shall indeed reward my hard work with some art time!

Great pieces!

Diane

Jen Crossley said...

OMG Marilyn,these collage pieces are too die for
Jen

Martina said...

Your work is just amazing, Marilyn. I love looking at your creations.

~*~Patty S said...

You know Marilyn, ummms do not come to mind at all when I think of your fab tut videos (we are each our own worst critic aren't we ... hearing oneself on tape is a whole nother thing I imagine) You done GOOD Lady, VERY VERY good! Your relaxed informative style is excellent!!! We should all have stock in deli paper ;)

Always enjoyable seeing your creations, many thanks for sharing with us!
Again I say YOU ROCK :)
oxo

Sugar Lump Studios said...

your pieces are all just to gorgeous! I love how you create texture! Hope you are staying warm...snowing here this morning!

Hanne said...

Both pieces are great Marilyn:) And, I have to say one more time that your video was great too!

Have a wonderful and creative week!
Hanne

Gaby Bee said...

Both pieces are amazing! Once again you have done a wonderful job!
Good luck with the art exhibit.

Gaby Bee said...

Both pieces are amazing! Once again you have done a wonderful job!
Good luck with the art exhibit.

Gaby Bee said...

Both pieces are amazing! Once again you have done a wonderful job!
Good luck with the art exhibit.

Gaby Bee said...

Both pieces are amazing! Once again you have done a wonderful job!
Good luck with the art exhibit.

vintage wil said...

Both pieces are Amazing!!!

Alexandra said...

Marilyn you was so very busy and your works are all fantastic !