Saturday, January 16, 2010

My first portrait drawing....................



I am spending, a good part of today, working on Misty Mawn's online Drawing and Painting class.

This is a world I've always wanted to jump into but my lack of , or inner critic as we artists like to call it, got in my way of seriously attempting a drawing class. I've always admired Misty Mawn's art and her approach to drawing and painting.

This class is awesome and I feel, for me, it's so much better taking an online class versus sitting in a classroom with others for this drawing journey. I think I would be too nervous for that. Misty's videos are so clear and her instructions make total sense to me. We've had some "warm up" exercises to work on to get a feel for lighting and shading.

Here are two pictures. The first one is my actual portrait drawing; my very first attempt. The second picture is some fun I had, with it, in Photoshop which I got even more excited about doing this as I know, now, I can flip my sketches into PS for an even different effect and sometimes, might even like them more - lol!

I know I have so much more to learn and far to go and I realize that noses are tough! But; as Misty says........."Practice, practice, practice" and that is just what I'm going to keep doing. I will take a chunk out of each of my days and practice! I turn on some classical music, relax and just give it a go!

During Misty's class, we will eventually be turning to painting portraits. Very exciting! I'm so happy I joined in!

Well; I just wanted to share with all of you my first portrait drawing. It's funny - knowing, all of you, through Blogging and also my local "peeps" who follow my Blog, I don't have any reservations sharing this with you as it is a huge step for me!

See? You are my wings my friends!

Hope you're enjoying your weekend and getting some art time in for yourself.

Much love to all of you! Your words and art inspire me each and every day!

...........Marilyn xxoo

22 comments:

Viola said...

Your first drawing is wonderful! Great work!

Diane said...

Awesome, Maryilyn!! Isn't it fun to see a "person" appear from what your hands do. And I completely agree with you about posting it online--the support of everyone is very encouraging. Wonderful face, although I knew it would be :)

Sandy said...

Wow your first drawing is fantastic.
Really great work. Love them.

Brian K said...

Awesome first drawings! Enjoy your class! I've taken several life drawing classes.

Terri Kahrs said...

Nicely done, Marilyn! Good for you to document your progress. Can't wait to see more. Enjoy your journey! Hugs, Terri xoxo

~*~Patty S said...

Lovely post M and congrats on your first fab drawing!! AND your new found PS skills too! It's a whole new world waiting for you out there!
Will look forward to the steps along the way...thank you for sharing!
oxo

Jacky said...

Wonderful Marilyn...sounds like this is a great online class and i agree, being able to do it in the privacy of ones home takes away a lot of the angst/insecurities we feel in a class situation at times.

Looking forward to seeing more!

Jacky xox

Lynne said...

Marilyn, that is so cool!!! I love your drawings!!! I have to agree with you about taking an actual class, I would be nervous and self-conscious!! I'm very happy that you were to do an online class, so that you could still learn new things without the pressure!! Good for you!! And don't let that inner critic get to you!!! You did a fabulous job!!

Patti G. said...

Marilyn,
I am so excited to see your drawing! What a great job you did and I know you will grow as you keep taking this class, so the possiblities are endless! I loved seeing the original AND the more watercolor version from the program! VERY Cool!!!!!
Keep up the fantastic work!
Hugs,patti

Tolegranny said...

Great job, Marilyn. They say the first time is the hardest. So keep up the good work.

Evidence of an Artistic Life said...

Bravo!!! Your first drawing is wonderful-I really wanted to take that class! I will have to live it through you!!! Look forward to more!!

Kaz said...

your first drawing is beautiful, I really love her, very well done. It's great you took the class, you're clearly a natural. can't wait to see more!! xox

Laura Haviland said...

Marilyn how cool is this drawing and can tell how much you are enjoying too. I always feel the eyes are everything in a drawing and you have mastered them greatly.
I will truly enjoy your art drawing journey and I should get drawing it is such a great way to relax. I am so pleased for you and what a first !!!
Marvelous face, dear friend.
Hugs, Laura. xoxxo
Don't you love the name Misty Mawn too.

Createology said...

Wow Marilyn you should never doubt your drawing talents. This is a fantastic first attempt. To me it looks like you are quite the artist and have been drawing all your life. Keep drawing...

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I can't draw for anything, and sure appreciate those who can. I would say you are getting a LOT out of that class. No inner critic needed here. You made a wonderful first face. I'm sure Misty would be thrilled, as I was to see the progress.

sharon said...

Hey Marilyn! It's fanatstic that you took that leap and posted it, I felt the same way. Your drawing is fabulous, and also what you did with PS!! I also find it amazing how immersed you can become working on these....it's peaceful to me. You are a woman of many talents.

johanna said...

big applause to you, marilyn!! it turned out fantastic! great to see you have so much joy in your online class - i´m looking forward to see more...
oxox, johanna

Peggy Beck said...

For a first portrait I think it is great and I am sure will only get better with that practice you are giving it. Much love and success.

Sugar Lump Studios said...

whoa! this is your first time drawing a portrait? you are a NATURAL! I cannot wait to see the rest of your creations because I know they will be AMAZING...just like YOU! Have a wonderful Sunday! :)

Debbie said...

What a great drawing! Enjoy the class. I loved the one I took from Misty!

Martina said...

Marilyn, your first painting is fabulous! I admire you for your talent. (I can not draw!)

Caterina Giglio said...

a great first attempt and the photoshop piece is intriguing! practice makes perfect! good for you!!!